[CM] No Auto Connect

Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:57:44 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> So are you suggesting something like MUS_JACK_PORTS_TO_AUTOCONNECT_TO in
> addition to MUS_JACK_DONT_AUTOCONNECT? I think thats too complicated, but I'm
> not sure. Well, its not very difficult to implement though.
>
> (A third thing is also how many input and output ports should sndlib create.
> Like it is now, it just creates the number of output ports and input ports to
> fit the number of physical ports.)

Yes, of course. As you say probably overkill in most cases, well, except
of for when you actually need the options...

>> I have not done a census of Jack applications but my feeling is that most
>> don't connect by default.

<I'll take a closer look when I'm more awake but it looks like you are
right and many apps autoconnect - filters like jack-rack don't, some
autoconnect outputs but not inputs, some have options to change the name
of the ports and some have options for autoconnection or not>

> I don't know why they don't. Its very irritating. Probably because it require
> tenths of lines of code to add autoconnect, and quite an amount of digging in
> the jacklib documentation...

It depends on which application. For example, freqtweak[*]. I usually feed
it from some other sound producing application, so for me it would be
irritating to have it connect to the soundcard inputs (so that I have to
disconnect it and then connect it to whatever I want it connected to). So
it depends on app and typical usage and that will change from app to app
and from user to user. Hence I think options are good, what is extra
operations for one user is less operations for another. Just my opinion,
of course.

-- Fernando

[*] freqtweak does autoconnect outputs... but not inputs