[CM] No Auto Connect

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:52:20 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

>>> "autoconnect" makes it (slightly?) harder to use snd in situations where
>>> the destination (or source) of the audio stream is not the sound card.
>>> It also ties the creation of input/output Jack ports to the capabilities
>>> of the soundcard. Most Jack applications do not (by default)
>>> autoconnect.
>>
>> This sounds very theoretical to me... Have you ever disconnected the the
>> output of snd (or other programs using sndlib) from the soundcard?
>
> Nope. Perhaps because I don't use them too frequently as Jack clients.
>
>>> An option for that would be great...
>>
>> Okey, is MUS_JACK_DONT_AUTOCONNECT an okey name for an enviornment variable
>> for this?
>
> If the code is changed there are two things that could be addressed. One is
> whether sndlib should autoconnect or not. The other is, if it autoconnects,
> that what ports it should. While the assumption of regular physical i/o ports
> is right most of the time it would be nice if that behavior could be
> controlled (in the same way that you can control soundcard and device in the
> case of alsa).

So are you suggesting something like MUS_JACK_PORTS_TO_AUTOCONNECT_TO in
addition to MUS_JACK_DONT_AUTOCONNECT? I think thats too complicated, but
I'm not sure. Well, its not very difficult to implement though.

(A third thing is also how many input and output ports should sndlib
create. Like it is now, it just creates the number of output ports and
input ports to fit the number of physical ports.)

> I have not done a census of Jack applications but my feeling is that most
> don't connect by default.

I don't know why they don't. Its very irritating. Probably because it
require tenths of lines of code to add autoconnect, and quite an amount
of digging in the jacklib documentation...