[CM] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Snd-ls V0.9.6.2

Paul Davis paul@linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:01:19 -0400

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 16:47 +0200, andersvi@extern.uio.no wrote:

> P> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 17:45 -0700, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> >> The biggest thing about this release of Snd-ls is probably that the
> >> rt-player is enabled by default. The rt-player is an alternative player
> >> engine for SND that plays soundfiles using the rt-extension and reads data
> >> from disk through a buffer. The result is less clicks, and more channels
> >> can be played safely at once.
> P>
> P> just think, if this had been in place 4 years ago, ardour's editor would
> P> have been snd-as-embedded-widget. good? bad? you tell me ;)
>
> It would make for an extremely powerful and flexible audio
> environment with a fast interface.  Might we hope?

i wouldn't spend any time hoping. i spent a month or so back in
2000/2001 trying to use snd as ardour's editor. when it became clear
that it couldn't handle much more than about 8-12 tracks of playback,
while ardour itself could do 32+, all other considerations were put
aside and it was clear we had to develop our own. the other major
problem with snd is that it has no concept of regions - its model for
audio data is that its a continuous file rather than a playlist. that
pretty much ended any debate on the matter.

> Talking about fate and hope and such: an import/export of
> suitable versions of ardours playlists (timed objects) in ardour
> would be great to interface it cleanly to tools like CM.  An
> "object" would consist of time, source, region, route'gain
> automation-data, everything making up a regions situation in a
> mix.

this is something you can hope for. we already allow per-region export,
but the workflow leaves something to be desired.

--p