[CM] Supercollider and CM

todd ingalls testcase@asu.edu
Mon, 09 May 2005 13:44:29 -0700

> think it makes sense to have the scores write out text files (or at
> least have the option of doing this) in a similar way that the CM -
> CSound interface works.  It is good to be able to edit output, and
> this can't be easily done with the osc binary files.  Is this already
> possible?
>
> Second, there is already a SC class that will convert a text score to
> osc, or play it, or render it in NRT.  Score.sc is the class, and
> there are examples in the Score-help file.

in this method does one have to then evaluate the Score class from
within SC to render the score file? i was trying to avoid that as i
wanted this automated and could't seem to find a way to do it. perhaps
it would be possible to have some helper functions for import/export
to/from .osc binary format and ascii?

> finally, this was a bit of a fake but it worked nicely.  The functions
> that Don Craig and I originally wrote to write out score also had the
> pad argument.  I changed them awhile ago to take a pad argument, OR,
> to calculate a file duration based on the note objects 'dur'
> argument.  Of course this meant that all SynthDefs had to have a dur
> argument for this to work.  This is only needed for non-real-time
> rendering (in real-time, the last dummy command should be harmless no
> matter what)... The dummy timestamp was calculated as the greatest
> starttime + duration of all the notes. I like this quite a bit, and it
> can take the guess work out of calculating a possibly unknown file
> duration.

hmm. we would have to think about this as it would require (as you
point out) some standard slot name for synths and would also not work
for command events which have no duration.