[CM] FYI: newer Emacsen on OS X

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Mon, 9 May 2005 16:29:02 -0500

If you are on OS X there are three three newish, native Emacs/XEmacs
you might want to try out in place of the old 21.3.50.1 Emacs.app from
Mindlube:

----Carbon Emacs (Emacs 22.0.50.1), by Emacs JP project.

Home: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CarbonEmacsPackage

Looks very similar to the old Mindlube Emacs.app but has lots of new
features. This is the Emacs Ive switched to.

1. Anti-alised fonts by default (you can turn this off).
2. Intermediate level of OS X Behavior:
    - One function call (mac-key-mode) moves Meta to the Option key and
      installs predefined Apple keyboard shortcuts on Apple
      key. Shortcuts work well between applications.
    - Apple-O opens up an Open File dialog.
    - You can make emacs frames transparent like other OSX windows
      (I can't imagine why anyone would do this more than once...)
3. Lots of preinstalled packages.

Cons:
1. Mouse-down in Scrollbar still weird but single line scrolling does
work.

----Aquamacs

Home: http://www.wordtech-software.com/Aquamacs.html

The most Mac-ish of these, really tries hard to make Emacs
look and behave like other OS X editors. But if you are a long-time
Emacs user then this is definately a double-edged sword...
1. High degree of OS X Behavior:
   - By default Meta is on Option and the Apple keyboard shortcuts are
     preinstalled and working
   - Each file opens in a new frame.
   - Has Apple-O Open File dialog.
   - Has "Recent Files" submenu.
2. Click-drag scrolling works better, but single line scrolling doesnt
    work for me.
3. a sleek new Gnu icon.

Cons:
1. default text mode font is not fixed width. Ack!
2. Have to specify :height 116 or the default fixed font size is tiny.
3. C-v, M-v scrolling is OFF by default. Turn it on by doing:
     (setq cua-enable-cua-keys nil)
4. c-x b does not offer last buffer as default, not sure why.

----Carbon Xemacs (beta2, Xemacs 21.5.20) by Andrew Choi

Home: http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-xemacs/

The best looking of the lot with xemac's 3d status line. Scrolling
very solid, mouse and keyboard much more responsive than first
beta. Choi is also the programmer of the Emacs.app at Mindlube; he
resigned from FSF about a year ago.)

Cons:
1. Its not hard but you do have to patch and build from sources and then
    install packages.
2. Default face is light text on green background -- changing this to
    dark text on white background takes more work than simply setting a
    new default face because the default syntax highlighting also
    assumes a dark background.
3. I haven't yet seen how to move Meta to the Option key. His old
    (setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil) trick doesnt work.
    No Apple keyboard shortcuts predefined, at least that I could see.
4. Odd teddybear icon. Whatever!