[CM] question on audio distributions, CCRMA or Agnula, others?

rm@fabula.de rm@fabula.de
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:31:39 +0100

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 06:35:49AM -0600, Rick Taube wrote:
> >>Ugly hack only. Building the debs is actually rather trivial - it's
> >>the
> >>dependency checking that is rather hard if you want it to be usefull.
>
> there are no dependencies. since the last release of cm you can build
> all the systems separately then load what you want at run time. for
> example, depending on what im doing these days i start cm and then load
> in either clm2 or clm3. if midishare is properly installed it is
> automatically loaded.

Oh, i wasn't talking about interdependencies inbetween cm/cmn/clm. A "proper"
Debian packet would have to set dependencies on "a lisp implementation capable
of running cm/clm..." or Guile.

> current -- saving images doesnt make much sense anymore unless your
> goal is to keep a snapshot "stable" (whatever that means with software
> like this!)  all three -- clm, cmn and cm -- check at runtime to see if
> their fasls are out of data, and if so, they get compiled so
> installation and running is identical. so for cm installation is:
> 	tar -zxf cm.tar.gz
> and running is:
> 	cm/bin/cm.sh
>
> asdf installs can just load src/cm.lisp or if they need more control,
> load src/make.lisp and call make-cm with the appropriate arguments.

Yes, of course. I'm just woundering whether it might be worth the effort
to migrate all of that to ASDF. After all, ASDF does itself already track
lsip/fasl dependencies etc. (and it's posssible to express other dependencies
as well. Imagine that parts of a fiktious CM-GUI would depend on Lambda-GTK ...).

 Cheers Ralf Mattes