[CM] question on audio distributions, CCRMA or Agnula, others?

Frank Barknecht fbar@footils.org
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:41:38 +0100

Hallo,
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky hat gesagt: // M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> I tried AgNuLa briefly when it first came out. They used to have two
> flavors, DeMuDi (Debian-based) and ReMuDi (Red Hat based) but they may
> have dropped the Red Hat flavor.

ReMuDi is dead.

If you want a rpm-based audio distribution, the way to go is the
Planet.

> In any event, I'm not sure they have packages for any of the CCRMA
> tools (like CM); you'd need to get ".deb" packages from somewhere or
> build them from source.

There is no CM package in Debian/Demudi yet, but there is interest to
incorporate it. As Debian has a full assortment of LISPs and Schemes,
installing CM from CVS/source is no big problem, if you follow the
instrucitons on the CM site. However of course a .deb would be nicer.
Any help would be highly welcome over on the AGNULA lists.

> What I have seen of AgNuLa (the Debian flavor) is quite impressive. I
> don't particularly like either Gnome or fluxbox, but KDE is too
> heavyweight for some of the real-time work, and even if you don't load
> Gnome, a lot of it gets installed anyway, because a number of packages
> depend on big chunks of it. You can load anything in the Debian
> repositories on a DeMuDi system. If I had a dedicated audio system, it
> would be my distro of choice for that system.

I agree here: Installation of Demudi is very easy, as it uses the new
Debian installer and has some audio related tweaks (including seeminly
minor things like disabling the usbmidi/usbaudio drivers in favour of
the ALSA drivers, something several distributions still fail at.)

As it's Debian based, you have a HUGE pool of other software to
install almost without pain using Debian testing, soon stable. This
includes installing different desktop environments or window
managers etc.

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38