[CM] question on audio distributions, CCRMA or Agnula, others?

Chris Dawson xrdawson@gmail.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:25:32 -0800

Thanks so much for the input.  I suppose my next question is whether
anyone has found serious version lagging, for lack of a better term, for
important software packages with any type of distro.  One of the things
I do dislike about Debian is that there is often a lag between when an
app is distributed in package form and when that same app is initially
released as a source tarball.  I generally prefer to build from source
when possible, but for an app like Ardour which has many dependencies it
is often so much easier to install via debian .deb packages or using
gentoo's portage system.  The one great thing about Fedora-based systems
is that the RPM maintainers generally are pretty quick to distribute
RPMs when a new version comes out, which you cannot always say for
Debian.  Obviously for common apps like gaim or firefox any distro will
have very up to date packages, but a lot of the audio apps are cutting
edge and not so widely used, and I wonder if anyone has had bad
experiences getting something to work until it was released within the
package system such that they would not recommend a distribution for
that reason.

I hope this discussion is helpful for others and that I am not
needlessly spamming the list with off topic questions.

Chris

--
linux hacker