[CM] snd - channel number during installation

Thomas F. Bechteler thomasbechteler@iyte.edu.tr
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:19:46 +0200

   Hello (and Servus),

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 18:51, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Thomas F. Bechteler hat gesagt: // Thomas F. Bechteler wrote:
> > I am using SuSE 9.0 pro. (and ALSA) which is shipped with snd-6.11,
>
> You should consider upgrading manually. Snd7 is much more fun.

Yep, I tried that too but I faced some problems with the GUI.
(And this was the same for older versions of snd I tried to
install for testing.)
The "configure" script couldn't find "motif" or "gtk" on my SuSE
distribution - and this for my two computers. It seems SuSE
put the important files to some strange folders, or not at all.
"configure" was claiming not to find the necessary file "gtk-config",
nor did I. Hence, snd was installed without GUI. Now I am trying
to figure out how to solve that problem.

[...]
> No, you cannot use them. I get the same effect with my M-Audio
> Audiophile, which has the same chipset as your card. This chipset
> itself is capable of 10/12 operation, but it is built onto several
> cards which don't wire all those channels to real in/out-channels.
> Unfortunatly at a driver level, ALSA doesn't recognize the hardware
> differences between those cards, as the driver is chipset specific.

Hmmm, although the setup tool YaST allows to choose among
several soundcards with the same chip-set ...

> You get the same, if you start a mixer like envy2control or alsamixer:
> It will show much more channels than actually available.
>
> envy24control has an option to reduce the displayed channels:
>
>   -o, --outputs   Limit number of outputs to display
>   -i, --input     Limit number of inputs to display
>   -s, --spdif     Limit number of spdif outputs to display

Thanks for this information!

> IMO something like this would be useful for Snd as well, because the
> mixer window shown for our cards is really HUGE. (It doesn't fit on my
> screen at least.)

Oh yeah, that is the same for me: 10+12 channels are too many to be
properly displayed on my screen. It would be a nice improvement of "snd"
to be able to choose the number of displayed channels!

I hope that will be a feature in the near future. Until this time I have to
cope with the many many channels ;-)

Thomas