[CM] snd - channel number during installation

Frank Barknecht fbar@footils.org
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:25:07 +0100

Hallo,
Thomas F. Bechteler hat gesagt: // Thomas F. Bechteler wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 November 2004 18:51, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> The "configure" script couldn't find "motif" or "gtk" on my SuSE
> distribution - and this for my two computers. It seems SuSE
> put the important files to some strange folders, or not at all.
> "configure" was claiming not to find the necessary file "gtk-config",
> nor did I. Hence, snd was installed without GUI. Now I am trying
> to figure out how to solve that problem.

Do you have the "-devel" packages for Gtk (or whatever they are called
on Suse) installed?

> > Unfortunatly at a driver level, ALSA doesn't recognize the hardware
> > differences between those cards, as the driver is chipset specific.
>
> Hmmm, although the setup tool YaST allows to choose among
> several soundcards with the same chip-set ...

You will also get the card's name, if you do a "cat
/proc/asound/cards", but nevertheless, for some reason, ALSA doesn't
care about the actual channel counts. This is not a Snd problem, but a
more flexible mixer window surely would be a good additional feature.

Ciao