[CM] 2nd International Linux Audio Conference

Marco Trevisani marco@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:26:25 -0400

I want to take Bill side and clarify something, which should be clear
but it is usually not, maybe Fernando could include that in his
paper... (i know fernando knows well this distinction i'm talking about a
general audience).

Most of the computation in CLM is made in real time, often faster than
real time, a part for very elaborated instruments, and those cases are
the same for any other similar application -csound, nyquist, editors
etc. (i think even PD would have hard time to process in real time
some complex clm intruments).

OK, but one thing is processing in real time, another story is
listening a process while is processed (of course those process need
to be either in real time or faster than real time). These two features
are different and often mixed, uncorrectly, into the same one: real
time.

Yes indeed listening the result of a process while is computing
certainly is not the main feature in CLM (question is that really
needed in CLM?). Saying that CLM lack of real time capability, i think i
pretty much incorrect.

my two puertorican cents (which are the same as US $ btw)

    marco