[CM] looking for documentation for beginner

Gregory D. Weber gdweber@indiana.edu
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:58:32 -0400

Welcome!

Besides the "Dictionary" there is also an examples directory
containing a sort of tutorial, in the form of a commented example
file, "intro.cm".  On my Red Hat 8 installation, it's in
/usr/share/common-lisp/source/cm/etc/examples.  As a tutorial, it's
fairly terse and sometimes cryptic, but does cover much of the
essential ground.

The "Dictionary" is handy to refer to, but -- well, scattered.
There used to be a more organized "Common Music Reference Manual"
with the following chapters or sections:
  Top
  Objects
  Processes
  IO
  Scales
  Data
  Patterns
  Plotter
  Utilities

I got it with an earlier version of CM (2.3.4, I think) and, although
some parts of it are obsolete, I still find it a useful reference.
It explains CM systematically rather than a word at a time.
It seems to be no longer available on the CM web site.  If you like,
I'll send you a copy.