[CM] Re: XML

Kenny Tilton ktilton@nyc.rr.com
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:28:57 -0400

cmdist-request@ccrma.Stanford.EDU wrote:

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:39:07 +0200
>From: Tobias Kunze =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brise=F1o?= <t@fictive.com>
>To: cmdist@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
>Subject: Re: [CM] Plotters (was something else)
>

>In my mind and this being 2003, i think the clear choice of
>technologies on which to base this process on is XML ...

Ah, but this is a Lisp package, and Lispniks are horrified at XML
compared with s-expr notation. I am no expert on XML, but I suggest
folks here don their asbestos and go ask Lispniks who live with XML what
they think. Spell out the requirements, and ask for recommendations.
You'll get some pretty outrageous comments, but the correlation seems to
be that the more one has worked with XML, the more apoplectic one
becomes when the subject is brought up. :)

Mind you, it is not an either-or situation. If CM goes for sensible
s-exprs, it is trivial to convert those to XML if necessary. I believe
several packages exist for this, going in both directions. But great
value is to be had from having good old s-exprs as the "native" syntax.
eg, Lisp can just READ files in s-expr notation, and simply PRINT them.

cheers, kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my: