[CM] [CMN] CMN on MCL 5.0

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 04:33:11 -0800

 > Has anyone gotten the latest distribution of CMN (files dated 10/15/03)
 > to run on the current  release of MCL 5.0? At first glance the
 > trap calls  _PBCreateSync and _PBOpenSync  in cmn-mcl.lisp aren't
 > supported under Carbon, and probably should be changed to
 > _PBHCreateSync and _PBHOpenSync respectively.
 > I thought I'd ask before looking further into the code.

Please send me whatever changes are needed -- I don't know anything
about this, and don't have any way to test it.  I think we can use
the CCL-5.0 switch.

The code in cmn-mcl.lisp is an optimization of file output -- it
could be omitted entirely -- there are Lisp replacements at the
end of cmn-utils.lisp (these functions exist because
ACL version 3 (1989!) text file output on the NeXT
was so slow that providing C foreign function calls
sped up CMN as a whole by about a factor of 10).  I think
the *features* switch for this is :only-lisp.