[CM] which lisp/scheme for future use?

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:16:27 -0700

> Taking musical data out to Finale means saying goodbye to
> important parts of it forever.  Even with a standard
> exchange-format for notation, you wont be able to get back
> anything apart from whats granted once and for all in that
> particular format.

very true, but equally true even if you stay inside lisp. if i have an
algorithm and i geneate a cmn score object or a seq of events then I can't
get my algorithm back from that data even though its in lisp. thats the
nature of abstration. so personally i like to stay at the
algorithm level as long as possible and then when it sound good i blast out
a "final score" and hopefully only tweek it minimally to get it to look
exactly the way i want it. (sometimes as a midway point i generate algos to
plotter and then edit _that_ data and then write the score.)
unfortunatly, since there isnt a plugin or a import/export standard, the
final notation tweeking currently takes a lot of work. personally i dont
care if i can rederivie
my original representation from this data, i just want something that the
performer
thinks looks good!