[CM] which lisp/scheme for future use?

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 09:27:02 -0700

>got the most recent guile 1.6.0 version, compiled it and then loaded
> load.scm successfully (except of a name mismatch between the
> referenced "objs.scm" in the load.scm file and the actual filename
> "objects.scm" in the scm directory).

No, You should be loading a file called "cm.scm" not load.scm.
better read the readme.text... there is also an example file "examples.cm"
that should get you started.

> There is a file called no_mid.scm Does that mean, midi is still NOT
> integrated into cm? If that's the case: I'm using MIDI for realtime

No, MIDI is there but no real time connection. You can certainly write MIDI
files and then use an external player to play them. But as far as I know
Tobias has not ported MI_D to linux so there is currently no possibility of
real-time MIDI connection in CM except on the Mac. And MI_D wont work on OSX
so I dont know what to do about midi anymore except implement it myself at
some point. Its very depressing.

> inter-process-communication quite successfully. alsa support is quite
> advanced including virtual midiports for internal use and graphic
> patchbays and it seems to be easy to implement. It would be nice if cm
> could be used with built in softsynths or get interfaced with pd.

yes. and this sort of thing is possible in Guile -- its got a very tight
connection with C.  But I dont have any time in the next few months to even
think about it.