[CM] Let's hear from CM 1.x users(?)

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:36:06 -0500

Rick Taube wrote:
> 'archive' is still there. its called save-object. all of the container mapping functions are still there too.

Ok - found it - thanks! And sorry for speaking in error.

> >Nevertheless, I did find Stella very usefull and was able to use it as a
> >sort of sequencer, with _very_ powerfull algorithmic capalities.
>
> yes, but plotter's 'algoritmic' editing is much nicer still -- its basically a sequencer for any type of object and has nice algo editiing capabilities. the main reasons i made a cm 2.4.0 was to get into guile so i can build a plotter-like interface for CM on something other than the mac. so with cm-2.4-0 i will be able to do it plus let people run in cl and scheme at the same time. scheme is nice in its own right because its much easer to teach.

I haven't looked at the description of plotter much, since I can't run
it yet (Linux), but I suspect that once it runs on Linux, I won't miss
Stella much.

Yes like you say the container mapping functions are still there, but
what I miss is both the interactiveness of Stella (where you can select
a current container for instance), and the terseness of the editing
commands.

> >Another feature that I remember seeing is that I thought you could
> >attach a seperate lisp random state to every pattern. But now that I'm
> >looking back on the CM 1.x documentation, I can't find such a thing, so
> >maybe I was just dreaming (!?)
>
> sheesh, you can still to that in cm-2.4.0! heaps and random have a :state initarg.

Mea culpa! I don't remember why, but at some point I came to the
erroneous conclusion that this slot wasn't there anymore! But it's
there, plain as day in the source and the documentation.

Larry Troxler