[CM] probs w/ snd and hammerfall

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:49:20 -0800

> Do not start the recorder with the plughw device. A "feature" of
> alsa makes the plug interface offer unlimited channels and snd will try
> to use them and create a recorder window that can record several million
> channels :-)

This should be fixed now -- in and out chans max out at 32. My
original idea for this dialog was that every audio data line and
mixer control would be active and displayed; this way the recorder
could be used for tracing signals and other kinds of trouble shooting,
as well as replace the highly unintuitive mixer control programs that
various systems offer. But audio hardware has out-grown the original
interface, and it's not obvious to me at the moment what the new
"right thing" is.