[CM] CMN in CM 2.3.4?

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 16:55:43 -0500

Some progress here with getting CM-2.3.4 and CMN running.

I'd like to mention a some things I found:

My multipage manuscripts were failing in cmn::paged-file-names because
the function was attempting to take the length of original-name, which
is a pathname and not a string. I don't know if this is supposed to be
allowed by the standard, but on cmucl it fails. I worked around this by
changing the open-io method in CM (the one for essential-cmn-file) to
pass a string instead of a pathname.

Next, because I am using csound and not midi, the "cmn" class which I
found is used to add arbitrary things to the cmn score, wasn't useable
and I had to make a paralell class which had an ins slot instead of a
channel slot.

Finally, some write methods in CM are defined only for cmn-file and not
for essential-cmn-file, namely the cmn write method and the "after"
method that does the marker processing. I don't understand why these can
not be defined for essential-cmn-file instead so that they will work for
direct eps rendering and not only when generating cmn files. In fact in
my replacement cmn class, I defined my write method on
essential-cmn-file and everything seems to work.

That's all for now.

Larry Troxler