[CM] newbie installation issues

Peter M. Traub ptraub@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
20 Jul 2002 19:21:01 -0700

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 09:46, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> The error itself is a sign that the compiled clmlib that is
> part of the binary rpm was compiled under a different set of
> libraries than the ones you have in your system. The easiest
> way out of this is to grab the source rpm for the cm-clm-cmn
> package and rebuild it in your system so that the libraries
> match. The newly built binary should install and run fine.
>
> -- Fernando

ok, i finally got ALSA installed and working on my home setup. I then
rebuilt (not a true rebuild though, just the alien package grab)
cm-clm-cmn-1.0-9.src.rpm and installed with a normal core. Now clm
starts up without segfaulting or giving any errors as before. However,
it gives errors if I try to compile and play an instrument. I just
tested a simple sine generator, and it compiled and loaded ok at ccrma.
At home, however, when I try to compile and play it with 'with-sound' I
get the following errors..

0] (with-sound () (sine 0 3 0.2 440))

Error in function COMMON-LISP::FOREIGN-SYMBOL-ADDRESS-AUX:
   Unknown foreign symbol: "clm_lnxcmu_sine5"
Error flushed ...

Here is the output of my compile and load commands:

* (compile-file "sinetest.ins")

Python version 1.0, VM version Intel x86 on 20 JUL 02 07:03:01 pm.
Compiling: /home/peter/clm/sinetest.ins 20 JUL 02 07:01:20 pm

; Writing "/home/peter/clm/clm_lnxcmu_SINE.c"
; Compiling "/home/peter/clm/clm_lnxcmu_SINE.c"
; Creating shared object file "/home/peter/clm/clm_lnxcmu_SINE.so"
Converted |clm_lnxcmu_sine3|.
Compiling DEFINSTRUMENT SINE:
Converted |clm_lnxcmu_sine2|.
Compiling DEFINSTRUMENT SINE:
Converted SINE.
Compiling DEFINSTRUMENT SINE:
Converted SINE1.
Compiling DEFINSTRUMENT SINE:
Byte Compiling Top-Level Form:

sinetest.x86f written.
Compilation finished in 0:00:00.
#p"/home/peter/clm/sinetest.x86f"
NIL
NIL
* (load "sinetest.ins")

; Writing "clm_lnxcmu_SINE.c"
; Compiling "clm_lnxcmu_SINE.c"
; Creating shared object file "clm_lnxcmu_SINE.so"
T                                                             | is
unbound.

And finally, here is the instrument:

(definstrument sine (start dur amplitude freq
			    &optional (amp-env '(0 0 1 1 20 0)))
  (let* ((cr (make-oscil freq))
	 (beg (* start *srate*))
	 (end (+ beg (* dur *srate*)))
	 (amp (make-env :envelope amp-env :duration dur :base .5)))
    (run
     (loop for i from beg below end do
       (outa i (+ (* (env amp) (oscil cr) amplitude)))))))

Other instruments that compiled and worked fine at ccrma break at home,
so I know its a clm/lisp issue and not bad clm code on my part. Could
this be related to the library problem Fernando mentioned above? And if
so, what can I do to do a total rebuild of clm? Thanks again!

Peter

ps. shouldn't the compile stage return T's instead of NIL's if the
compilation is successful?