[CM] fun with CM + Linux

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 20:13:02 -0500

Larry Troxler wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Rick Taube wrote:
>
> > I think your Timidity hook is what I should use as the default on linux.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't make sense. Timidity as far as
> I understand, is a "soft-synth" that happens to be able to take MIDI
> input.
>
> Shouldn't the default be instead to write to a MIDI device, instead of
> being hardwired to a specific program?

I agree with Larry, it would be best if the MIDI output were realtime. I
suggest TiMidity for reasons of sound quality in lieu of support for
/dev/midi and its offspring.

So what has to happen for CM in Linux to route MIDI to the appropriate
devices ?

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org