[CM] mobile sound?

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 05:12:38 -0800

I was goofing around with ptree-channel and noticed a new way of
using Snd: if the accessor has, for example, randomness, each
time you look at the sound it is different, so

(ptree-channel (lambda (y) (+ y (random .01))))

gives a slightly different take on the sound on each change
of view or redisplay.  But if the details of the noise don't
matter, this change is also ok -- you're editing a sort
of mobile in sound (analogous to mobile sculpture -- was
it Calder who made these?).  I could extend this to handle
any function, so you could embed Common Music processes
or whatever in the sample accessors, so each time you
look at it, you get a new version of the compositional
algorithm -- Snd could be used as the algorithm editor.
If copy/paste maintained the parse-trees, you'd be
pushing bits of compositional processes around, rather
than something mundane like samples.