[CM] fun with CM + Linux

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:37:38 -0500

Larry Troxler wrote:

> What I'm saying is (and maybe I should have shut up before I started
> since I'm not actually using MIDI in CM) that shouldn't the output hook
> for MIDI, assuming it gets passed a MIDI file, simply play the MIDI file
> to a specified MIDI port, rather than calling a specific soft-synth?

You can't just cat a MIDI file to /dev/midi, it needs a player that
understands the format and correctly sequences the data in time. I think
it might be sweetest to have both MIDI file creation/playback (via
iiwusynth or TiMidity) and realtime output to MIDI ports (real or
virtual).

One advantage I do enjoy when using TiMidity with CM: I have transport
controls for playback...

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org