[mus422] Music 422 - Python and external softwares

François Germain fgermain at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 11 20:25:41 PST 2013

Hello class,

Here are where to find the correct versions of Python and the different
components (Numpy, Matplotlib and wxPython) needed to run the files
provided for the class. Go to the links corresponding to your operating
system and install the corresponding softwares. If you encounter any
problem, please come to the tutorial on Tuesday at 6pm.

Mac OSX 10.6 or later:
- Python 2.7.3:
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/python-2.7.3-macosx10.6.dmg
- Numpy 1.6.2:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.2/numpy-1.6.2-py2.7-python.org-macosx10.6.dmg/download
- Matplotlib 1.1.1:
https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/matplotlib/matplotlib/matplotlib-1.1.1/matplotlib-1.1.1-py2.7-python.org-macosx10.6.dmg
- wxPython:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-osx-unicode-2.8.12.1-universal-py2.7.dmg

Mac OSX 10.3 through 10.6:
- Python 2.7.3:
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/python-2.7.3-macosx10.3.dmg
- Numpy 1.6.2:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.2/numpy-1.6.2-py2.7-python.org-macosx10.3.dmg/download
- Matplotlib 1.1.1:
https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/matplotlib/matplotlib/matplotlib-1.1.1/matplotlib-1.1.1-py2.7-python.org-macosx10.3.dmg
- wxPython:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-osx-unicode-2.8.12.1-universal-py2.7.dmg

Linux:
In most distributions, you just need to install the following packages
(the names might vary depending on the distribution): python,
python-numpy /or/ numpy, python-matplotlib
For wxPython, you should install the following packages (the names might
vary depending on the distribution): python-wxgtk2.8, python-wxtools/,/
wx2.8-i18n
If you can't find the corresponding packages, talk to me at the tutorial
or email me.

Windows:
- Python 2.7.3: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/python-2.7.3.msi
- Numpy 1.6.2:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.2/numpy-1.6.2-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe/download
- Matplotlib 1.1.1:
https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/matplotlib/matplotlib/matplotlib-1.1.1/matplotlib-1.1.1.win-amd64-py2.7.exe
- wxPython:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.12.1-py27.exe
Remark: After installing Python, it is often practical to add the python
folder to the Windows path to use it in command-line. If you don't know
how to do it, talk to me at the tutorial or email me.

Have a nice weekend,

--
François Germain

Teaching Assistant / PhD Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA)
Stanford University