[Stk] Modal Synthesis

Alexandros Papanikolaou alexandros.a.papanikolaou at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 05:08:23 PDT 2015

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

So, to make a conclusion, I have a project that i have to synthesize a
sound from physical based objects via model analysis. I am more interested
in resonant objects, so, in the beginning I am more interested in PhiSAM.
Additionally, I would prefer the application to be interactive and visual
using a haptic device like falcon. I think I will have to follow the above
subprocesses:

a) Record a sample in a non-resonant condition

b) Apply Fourier Transform (like in the Van Den Doel algorithm or Benen
Cahill modification (in Physically Based Sound Synthesis for Interactive
Applications 2009)) to identify the peaks in the frequency spectrum in
order to find the characteristic frequencies

c) Create a Modal Model in which the modes are the frequencies found.

d)  Define some other parameters (like damping and gain). Test my model by
striking it in different positions

e) Create the visual environment and the haptic interaction

If I am correct so far, I would like to ask how I should start this project.

At first I think I will need to play with Modal Class or ModalBar Class a
little bit in order to gain a better understanding about them.
Then I will use my recorded sounds, and in the end I will try the fourier
transform.

Final thoughts:
How is PhiSAM implemented in STK?
Could you guide me on how I can visualize the whole application and make it
interactive?
Do you have any similar project to study its code?
Is the book available online?

Kind Regards
Alexandros Papanikolaou