[Stk] Modal Synthesis

Perry Cook prc at cs.princeton.edu
Fri Apr 24 09:44:06 PDT 2015

Yep, STK provides lots of means for Modal Synthesis.

ModalBar is exactly that, a modal model (4 modes) with stick impact
excitation, and with simple parametric controls over the excitation
and the modal strike position.  You can change the modal gains and
Qs, and you could replace the excitation with essentially any sound
file, or hack the source to replace the excitation with exponentially-
decaying filtered noise, or whatever.  And/or you could hack the
source to add more modes, or just use N ModalBars (as I often
do) to add more modes.

BandedWG adds even more physics (group delay per mode) to
the modal model, and lets you bow the physics in addition to
whacking it.

You can also build your own modal models from resonant filters,
which are built into STK.

References See:

Physically informed sonic modeling (phism): Synthesis of percussive sounds
PR Cook, ICMC 1996 and CMJ 1997    ICMC Version here:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/p/pod/dod-idx/physically-informed-sonic-modeling-phism-percussive.pdf?c=icmc;idno=bbp2372.1996.071

Real Sound Synthesis for Interactive Appllications
P. Cook, AK Peters/CRC Press, 2002
Modal Synthesis starts on page 43 and reappears off and on for the rest of the book

PRC