[Stk] pulseaudio backend for RtAudio

Alexandre Quessy alexandre at quessy.net
Thu Oct 14 23:42:06 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

2010/10/14 Stephen Sinclair <sinclair at music.mcgill.ca>:
> I guess it depends on the target.  If RtAudio is intended only for
> educational and professional audio software, soft synths and the like,
> then ALSA/Jack is good enough.  On the other hand if RtAudio is
> intended to be used in day-to-day desktop software (like mp3 players,
> web browser media, use in programs like Audacity), then PA is a must.

Yes, I think it's a must. It seems like more and more developers are
choosing RtAudio over PortAudio, for example, to provide a portable
audio I/O for their applications. I think it's nice to have such a
library, and it should support as many backends as possible, as long
as it doesn't break anything. Of course, the priority should be given
to backends that are interesting for both pro users and day-to-day
use. (as well as researchers, of course)

Go for it!

By the way, is it planned to split RtAudio and RtMidi from STK, so
that they become respectively their own libraries? That would make
packaging of applications easier, I think.

Thanks,
--
Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net/