[Stk] pulseaudio backend for RtAudio

Stephen Sinclair sinclair at music.mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 14 10:13:02 PDT 2010

Afaik there tends to be a lot of mixed appreciation of PulseAudio; at
least on the Linux Audio Developer list, it seems to be a point of
contention.  Personally I don't find it affects my usage of the OS
very much, although maybe it does things in the background that I'm
not always aware of.  (Like mixing outputs of different applications.)

I think support of PA wouldn't be a bad addition, but at the same time
as a Linux/Ubuntu user I don't feel a
drastic need for it.

I guess it depends on the target.  If RtAudio is intended only for
educational and professional audio software, soft synths and the like,
then ALSA/Jack is good enough.  On the other hand if RtAudio is
intended to be used in day-to-day desktop software (like mp3 players,
web browser media, use in programs like Audacity), then PA is a must.
However, the usual use case of using it with STK to develop
synthesizers, I don't think it's that important.

The network transport might however be a pretty useful feature,
although I would bet there are Jack-oriented solutions to that kind of
thing too.

Steve