[Stk] RtApiDummy: This class provides no functionality.

alpana jui lpnjui at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:54:11 PDT 2008

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much.

 I tried to follow what you suggested but I am not sure if I followed
this right.  I will appreciated any suggestions. I attached all the
attempts so far  I made to  check if RtAudio configure my audio device
in the XCode and in the terminal.  Unfortunately, still no success but
RtDummy and in the terminal, some unexpected message as attached. But
STK works in the terminal as expected but I will try this by setting
the parameters in XCode to check if this can be used for my audio
interface.

In the terminal

./record 2 44100 3 1

Recording for 3 seconds ... writing file 'record.raw' (buffer frames = 512).

./playraw 2 44100 record.raw 1

RtApiCore::probeDeviceOpen: unable to find OS-X stream on device (1)
for requested channels.

RtApiCore::closeStream(): no open stream to close!

>> In the terminal
./audioprobe

Compiled APIs:
  OS-X Core Audio

Current API: OS-X Core Audio

Found 3 device(s) ...

Device Name = Apple Inc.: Built-in Microphone
Probe Status = Successful
Output Channels = 0
Input Channels = 2
Duplex Channels = 0
This is NOT the default output device.
This is the default input device.
Natively supported data formats:
  32-bit float
Supported sample rates = 44100 48000 88200 96000

Device Name = Apple Inc.: Built-in Input
Probe Status = Successful
Output Channels = 0
Input Channels = 2
Duplex Channels = 0
This is NOT the default output device.
This is NOT the default input device.
Natively supported data formats:
  32-bit float
Supported sample rates = 44100 48000 88200 96000

Device Name = Apple Inc.: Built-in Output
Probe Status = Successful
Output Channels = 2
Input Channels = 0
Duplex Channels = 0
This is the default output device.
This is NOT the default input device.
Natively supported data formats:
  32-bit float
Supported sample rates = 44100 48000 88200 96000

In XCode the output of audioprobe.cpp is :

Compiled APIs:
  RtAudio Dummy

RtApiDummy: This class provides no functionality.

Current API: RtAudio Dummy

Found 0 device(s) ...

The preprocessors I set in the XCode record.cpp and playraw.cpp tests
are as follows:
// __GXX__: OS X specific preprocessor
#ifndef __GXX__
#define __GXX__
#endif

// __MACOSX_CORE__: OS X specific preprocessor
#ifndef __MACOSX_CORE__
#define __MACOSX_CORE__
#endif

#ifndef __LITTLE_ENDIAN__
#define --LITTLE_ENDIAN__
#endif

In XCode when I try to run record.cpp, I receive

useage: record N fs <duration> <device> <channelOffset>
    where N = number of channels,
    fs = the sample rate,
    duration = optional time in seconds to record (default = 2.0),
    device = optional device to use (default = 0),
    and channelOffset = an optional channel offset on the device (default = 0).

    I do not know yet in XCode console where I can set the parameters
for this variable.

    >>the output of playraw.cpp on XCode is as follows:
    [Session started at 2008-09-12 22:24:58 +0200.]

useage: playraw N fs file <device> <channelOffset>
    where N = number of channels,
    fs = the sample rate,
    file = the raw file to play,
    device = optional device to use (default = 0),
    and channelOffset = an optional channel offset on the device (default = 0).

I do not know if I can set the paramenter heres yet to test if this
configures device.

At the same time, when I try STK examples, record.cpp and play.cpp.
both works in the terminal. But in the XCode, it shows me just the
parameters. I will try to set the parameters in case it let me try to
use STK to continue writing my interface using STK for our project. Is
there any suggestions?

Is there any comments in the above attempts that went wrong that I
need to correct in the next attempt while trying use of STK for an
audio file reading as a vector form for training and extracting speech
features as well as  to record some commands by STK record  for
testing for the same speech features extraction.

I will post the results and observations for any suggestions and
comments that I need to follow for a progress.

Look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thank you very much for the support,
Jui