[Stk] asio limitations?

Enrico Costanza enrico.costanza at epfl.ch
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:41:36 +0100

Hi All,

I remember reading about a year ago of some known issues of the
STK/RTAudio with the Windows ASIO driver. I am considering changing my
project to work with that driver, but I cannot find that information any
more.

Is there still any open issue? My project makes a fairly heavy use of
RTDuplex with a number of FileWvIn and FileWvOut, and it is used for
both live recording and playback in performances. Right now things work
quite well with the DirectSound driver, but for technical reasons I need
to make the project work with some more professional sound cards, for
which, to my understanding. the standard driver is ASIO (I also
understand that it is possible to make them work with DirectSound
drivers, but it seems a bit of a mess).

Can I safely use ASIO? Is there anything I should be conscious about?
Would it be better for that matter if I switched to using RtAudio
directly? (with the callbacks..)

Thanks,
Enrico