[Stk] Making edits to the bowedbar object - removing the struck component of the sound

Eliot Palmer onelonet@hotmail.com
Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:59:25 +0000

Hello all,

I am undertaking a max/msp project, using the perColate bowedbar~ object.

I am hoping to remove the "striking" component of its sound. The reason for
this is that I am hoping to modify the application of the instrument, to
make it act more like a resonant bar or panel, rather than a struck object
which then resonates. As part of this project I am driving the amplitude
compoment of the bowedbar~ object with another, relatively slow moving
signal.

I realise that I can put an envelope over the instument to remove the inital
attack, but as the signal driving the object is constantly refreshing, every
time I send a new signal or sequence of amplitude information the bowedbar~
keeps on making a series of clicks as the input signal ramps up and down ...
(stike --- resonate, stike --- resonate, etc... I am after resonate,
resonate, resonate)

I am wondering if is it feasible to edit the code of the bowedbar instrument
and remove the struck component, or am I right in thinking that as a
physical model this striking actually is driving the rest of the sound?

I have no experince in C or programming generally, so i thought it would be
worthwhile to see if such an approach is feasible, before enlisting the help
of other locals to kick this project along.

Alternaively, it would be good to know if there are any other good (ie free
max/msp objects) physical modelling objects that might function in a similar
manner? I want to drive their amplitue and frequency from another source. Im
thinking waveguide meshes?

I hope this is explained clearly enough!

Thanks all

Eliot