[PlanetCCRMANews] [PlanetCCRMA] fedora 18: new 3.8.4-rt2 kernel

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Apr 2 20:27:22 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM, S C Rigler <riglersc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just released a new (very new!) rt patched kernel for Fedora 18, this
>> one is based on the latest (202) Koji build plus 3.8.4-rt2. It seems to
>> be performing well in limited tests here.
>>
>> If you are happy with the current 3.6 rt kernel don't upgrade, this 3.8
>> release is very new and maybe there are bugs lurking there. I'll track
>> the 3.8.x rty series and release packages as new versions become available.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>> -- Fernando
>>

> So far performance is good for me on x86-64 Fedora 17.  Only two gripes:
>
> 1. The nouveau module no longer supports the "msi" parameter
> (obviously not an RT issue)
> 2. Suspend/resume doesn't work for me.  I can suspend but resume just
> sits there.  Works ok on the regular 3.8.4 kernel so I'm not sure what
> the issue is.
>
> --Steve

I haven't tried suspend/resume, but starting with 3.7, the nouveau
driver stopped working on my ancient GeForce card. This email about
"not supporting msi" is the first clue I've found *anywhere* on the
Internet about what the issue might be. The symptom is

1. Boot the machine
2. Log in to any desktop but KDE
3. Start Firefox. The machine immediately locks up with random streaks
on the screen and needs to be power-cycled.
4. KDE doesn't even get to the desktop - the lockup / streaks happen
as it's painting the screen.

I had to switch to 'nv' in xorg.conf to get the machine to work with
3.7 or 3.8 kernels.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers Workbench
http://j.mp/CompJournBench/

I am not an IP address! I am a free man!