[PlanetCCRMANews] new jack in "stable" and another in "testing" (including jackdmp!)

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano planetccrma at ccrma.stanford.edu
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:19:33 -0700

Hi all...
I pushed jack 0.109.2 from the testing repository to the normal
planetccrma repository for all to enjoy :-)

In planetccrma-testing there's now a _new_ version of jack (0.109.10
svn). This one is special, it includes the normal jackd and also an
advance preview of jackdmp plus a wrapper library (both thanks to the
superb work of Stéphane Letz) that enables you to use one or the other
without changing anything else. For more details about jackdmp see:

  http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html

Many advantages (and it will be the base for jack 2.0)...

I have used jackdmp recently in LAC2008 when playing "El Dinosaurio
Habla" in concert. No problems (I used the "-S" compatibility option).
and very good performance.

"If you choose to accept this mission" you can enable the
planetccrma-testing repository and install the new jack.

Jackd should work with no changes. To use jackdmp (if you are using
qjackctl) you just need to change the "Server Path" in the "Settings"
tab of the "Setup" dialog to be "jackdmp" instead of "jackd" (without
the quotes). Save preferences, stop the current jack and restart it and
the new one should be up and running. Obviously you can only switch
servers if no jack clients are running.

Caveats: the messages printed by jackdmp are sometimes not very
informative at this time :-( I have had best results byt using the "-S"
mode, but YMMV, otherwise I seem to get warnings or errors for certain
clients, have not had time to debug it.

Anyway, enjoy!
-- Fernando