[PlanetCCRMANews] fc6: core components available for testing

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu
Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:00:49 -0800

Hi all...
I've just released the "core" components for Fedora Core 6[1]. That
includes an Ingo Molnar supercharged kernel (the package name is
"kernel-rt" to differentiate it from the normal kernel), the irq
ordering rtirq script, pam packages that allow any user to use realtime
scheduling without editing configuration files[2] and a planetccrma-core
package that should pull in all other packages in one yum install
command. All available for i386 and x86_64.

YMMV...

The kernel is only built for i686 architectures in the case of the 32
bit distro, and there is no longer an -smp version (as has been the case
with the stock Fedora kernels in fc6). I have built them with PREEMPT_RT
only, so the install incantation is just:

  yum install planetccrma-core

Obviously nobody gives any assurances that you will end up with a
bootable rt kernel if you install this :-) It has been working fine in
the machines I tested, but those are not that many - but I have not seen
recent updates from Ingo so I presume it is "stable" (sort of).

Additional jack-audio-connection-kit packages have been released as well
that run jackd with the proper realtime priority (60 by default) so that
the jackd process priorities interleave correctly with the rest of the
realtime process priorities as tuned by rtirq.

Enjoy! (if it works ;-)
-- Fernando

[1] had I waited more I could have released this together with the
official release of fc7, oh well... time flies...

[2] and allows any user to hang the machine with a simple program, you
have been warned...