[PlanetCCRMANews] fc6/7: new rt kernel; fc6/7: updated libgig

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu
Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:28:20 -0700

Hi all, some kernel updates:

fc6/fc7: kernel-rt-2.6.21-0182.rt19.1

based in 2.6.21.5 and Ingo's 2.6.21.5-rt19. I had to skip rt18 as it had
problems with the udev startup sequence. Many thanks to Ingo, Thomas
Gleixner - who fixed the bug - and Carsten Emde who provided the traces
that made it possible to debug it.

Seems to work nicely in my tests (rt17 _sometimes_ had the udev problems
as well in some of the hardware configurations we have, which you may
have seen as delays in the boot sequence).

fc6/fc7: the stock 2.6.21.5 kernel does not include the ilw3945 wireless
driver that is included as a patch in the stock Fedora kernel... and my
new laptop needs something, so I created kernel modules for the ipw3945
driver, its firmware and the regulatory daemon (the last two rebuilds of
what freshrpms provides - with thanks to Matthias)[*].

If you want to test this, "yum install kmod-ipw3945 ipw-firmware" and
all necessary packages should be installed. This kernel module will only
work with the rt kernel packages.

On the same vein there's also a bleeding edge ALSA kernel modules
package. If installed ("yum install kmod-alsa") it will provide a very
recent hg (it is a version control system used byt the ALSA project)
snapshot of the alsa kernel drivers, which is newer than what comes
bundled with 2.6.21.5. I wish I did not have to do this, but with the
new kernel modules sound in my new laptop actually works. If you are
having soundcard problems with very new hardware this may help.

fc6/fc7: updated libgig to version 3.1.1

Enjoy!
-- Fernando

[*] there are at least three widely used ways to package kernel modules,
I used "kmod" which is what is used officialy in Fedora and Livna,
Freshrpms uses "dkms" and ATrpms use "kmdl"... let's _not_ argue about
which one is better, please :-)