[PlanetCCRMA] M-Audio 24Ao w. updated firmware on linux nowadays ?

Tue Oct 27 12:47:12 PDT 2020

On 10/27/20 1:00 AM, anders.vinjar at bek.no wrote:
> Hi Fernando, thanks for pointers to thread with much info.

>      F> If the hardware you have can be downgraded (I believe to 1.2.8+
>      F> or something like that) then do that and you should be
>      F> fine. Regretfully newer hardware versions cannot be downgraded.
>
> Seems 'downgradabililty' is the only working solution then, based on
> various descriptions about random buzzy sounds etc.
>
> Will attempt downgrading, but only after next concert is done (served by
> other OS'es)
>
> So using somewhere around 1.2.8 i can hope for nice playing without
> occasional buzzy noise + i can expect getting 64 channels out of that
> card?

Yes if your card supports it. Hopefully you can do that (depends on how
old your hardware is).

I have been using the Motu AVB world for a couple of quite complex
systems at CCRMA. It is a love/hate relationship. The craziest system is
the Stage control system. This is our small concert hall and it has now
a 56.8 speaker system - a computer running custom software and 8 Motu
audio interfaces connected through AVB that drive everything. Users
connect to selected Motu audio interfaces to access the system (through
USB).

Even then, occasionally I get buzzy things going (it sounds like a tiny
bzzt that repeats periodically, one or two second interval). So the
system is not absolutely 100% glitch free. I think that with the new
kernels and driver tweaks it would be less frequent (still running
rather old stuff there).

(my problem is that, for example, that system depends on 64 channels
over USB[*] and the newer firmware does not do that for class compliant
mode - thus all the work to get this to work on newer firmware/hardware)

Best luck!
-- Fernando

[*] the ultimate solution would be native AVB on Linux, then we could
ditch USB... some work has been done on that but I have not yet tried it
out...