[PlanetCCRMA] State of Fedora 26 repo

Sun Oct 22 12:00:55 PDT 2017

On 10/22/2017 01:25 AM, Yury Bulka wrote:
> Let's take SuperCollider as an example. It is included in debian main,
> so it probably wouldn't have any licensing issues with fedora.

I don't think there are any licensing issues. At some point I think
there was a problem with boost as SC needed its own version (and Fedora
does not like that, you have to link with existing libraries instead of
using a different one).

(that is also true for most of the packages I still maintain)

> How the process of moving it into main fedora would look like in
> general?

You need to become a Fedora packager, and for that you need to have a
mentor (someone who is already a packager and can review what you submit
and make sure that it fits the packaging guidelines). Probably somebody
in the Fedora Music mailing list would be able to help. You submit a
package for review, it gets comments, you fix the issues, etc.

> Take the srpm, adapt it to Fedora's Packaging Guidelines [1] and submit
> to fedora?

Yup...

> Then, I guess, the person doing it would have to take the responsibility
> of maintaining the fedora package.

That is usually the case. It is a service to the community (and a way of
paying back part of the hard work developers do when creating new
software).

The problems I usually have with new versions of Fedora is (usually) gcc
becoming more strict and failing to compile some package. That is what
happened when I tried to rebuild SC 3.7.x, there was a compilation
error. At that point you can either create or find a patch that will
make it compile, or if there is a newer version try that. I tried to
build 3.8.0 but I hit an error (I forget what it was) but did not have
time to pursue it.

There's another option, if you or someone else manages to get a missing
package to compile (basing it, for example, in the spec files already
written for it and part of Planet CCRMA) and then do some basic testing,
I could easily (usually) rebuild it in my build server and release it
(with proper attribution, of course). I have been very busy with other
projects and have had no time to debug failing builds - once a package
builds it is relatively easy to release it.

> I could try doing it maybe, although I don't have much experience in
> packaging or C++ development. Is the knowledge of C++ absolutely
> required to be able to maintain a fedora package for SuperCollider?

Not really, just the ability to debug problems with building it,
programming experience of course helps. Usually an internet search when
you have problems will have suggestions that you can use. Once it builds
then you need to do some basic testing to make sure the software works
out of the box. I personally do not program in c++ but I'm still able to
fix most of the problems that crop up (but then I have been doing it for
quite a while :-).

Hope this helps,
Best,
-- Fernando