[PlanetCCRMA] fedora 23 and permissions

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Thu May 26 17:55:28 PDT 2016

On 26 May 2016 at 11:21, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> I might be able to answer my own questions:
> there is a /etc/securit/limits.d/95-jack.conf  which defines(?) a jackuser
> group with rt permissions. When I added myself to that group I was able to
> run jackd and get sound working.
> (BTW - managing users and groups is not transparent in the current fedora
> documentation and could be more friendly)

Hi Oded,
I agree with you that the current jack set up the user has to go
through is suboptimal. The reason for that is we could not find a way
to make it better.
Currently, there is the online documentation [1] and the README file
[2] that we added to the jack package a while ago. So we assume that
the user will get frustrated and come across one of these places.

The jack package is at the root of all installations so the jack
package installation looks like the best candidate to be associated
with the audio setup. We do not have the option of adding all users to
the jackuser group in the default Fedora installation (I do not
remember what the default is on the Jam spin?). The package
installation is done by the super user which doesn't know which users
should really be in the group. So the user is left with doing it
manually.

But the user can install the packages in so many ways. They can use
their favorite package management GUI, or command line dnf, yum or
even rpm to install. There is no standardized way of passing the
information to the users with all these tools. Moreover the package
installation can be part of an automated process so we cannot
interrupt it to show a pop up to display a message to the user.

That said, if you have any suggestions we will certainly take it into
consideration.

Best,
Orcan

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Musicians_Guide/sect-Musicians_Guide-Using_JACK.html
[2] /usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit/README.Fedora