[PlanetCCRMA] How to create a 4.0 rt kernel package?

Thu May 14 09:06:38 PDT 2015

On 05/14/2015 02:22 AM, Yury Bulka wrote:
> Dear CCRMA,

Hi Yuri,

> I'm looking for advice on compiling a 4.0 rt kernel "the proper way",
> i.e. to have an -rt package that is similar to the official PlanetCCRMA
> packages. Perhaps just some pointers to information on how this is done
> for planet ccrma. I know how to compile kernels from the bare source
> (from kernel.org), but haven't yet compiled rt kernels into rpms.
>
> Do you have any scripts you use to build the rt kernels?

No, no scripts (other than my generic build system), just a modified
spec file derived from normal Fedora builds. That is available as part
of the srpm package in the Planet CCRMA "planetcore" repository.

The problem at the moment is that an rt patch has not been released for
4.0+. The latest is for 3.18. So there is no way to create an rt patched
4.0+ kernel without being one of the kernel gurus that deal with the rt
patch...

> The reason I have to do this is because I'm on a machine that has an
> Intel Broadwell graphics unit that only works properly with 4.0+
> kernels:( That's why I've upgraded to Fedora 22.
>
> Would be enormously grateful for any hints,

Sorry I can't be of more help... You will have to use the stock Fedora
kernels for now. Make sure you enable IRQ threading and set priorities
with rtirq as that can probably help with latency if that is critical to
your application.

Eagerly waiting for 4.x.x-rty...
Best,