[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 20 64-bit 3.12.5.-302.rt7.1

Sun Jan 26 16:15:35 PST 2014

On 01/19/2014 03:44 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On 01/19/2014 03:28 PM, Don Estabrook wrote:
>> On 2014-01-19 14:57 -0600, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>>> I finally built a 3.12.6-rt9 without one of the patches (as outlined
>>> in the rt mailing list) and it boots.  But on a boot I got a couple of
>>> Ooop'ses so all is not clean.  I did try to suspend and awaken once
>>> and it went through the process with no apparent problems.
>>
>>> I'll run it for a bit more, maybe I could release to the testing
>>> repository if you are interested in giving it a try...
>>
>> Sounds good -- I'll try that before posting to linux-rt-users about
>> the older version. :)
>> FWIW, the oopses you posted there look to be different than what I saw
>> with 3.12.5.-302.rt7.1, so definitely worth a shot.
>
> Hi Don, I just released that kernel to the Fedora 20 planetcore-testing
> repository. You will need to install the planetccrma-repo-testing
> package to have access to the testing repositories. After that just do a
> "yum install kernel-rt" and you should see the new kernel.

An ever newer one in the normal planetcore repository, this one based on
3.12.8 and rt11. It boots in limited tests in my home workstation.

Enjoy! (or not :-)
-- Fernando

PS: FYI (from the rt mailing list announcement):

Changes since v3.12.8-rt10
- The "do not to raise the timer softirq unconditionally" resulted a few
   boot lockups on a few boxes. Steven found the problem and sent a fix.
   Thank you Steven.
- A compile fix to "do not to raise the timer softirq unconditionally"
   patch to compile without RT enabled.
- Brian Silverman reported a BUG (Debian #723180) where gdb's
   record command does something nasty and causes a double fault on
   x86-64 kernel with 32bit userland (the debugged application).
   The problem was a RT specific patch which has been reverted
- Sami Pietikäinen reported a crash in __ip_make_skb(). Nicholas
   Mc Guire posted a patch for it, thank you Nicholas.
- A patch from Steven to document why we need a spinlock in struct
   hotplug_pcp
- Don't unwind on ARM if called from irq_disabled() regions. This may
   cause a lockup with debug object enabled while loading a module.

There is also a patch in the queue from Paul E. McKenney to move RCU
processing from softirq into its own thread. After Mike Galbraith
reported a few RCU stalls I decided to keep it disabled for now.
Steven's fix may have fixed the problem. If nothing else comes up I will
try to enable it in the next release.

Known issues:

       - bcache is disabled.