[PlanetCCRMA] install planet on old laptop

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 15 07:57:21 PDT 2013

I'm conserving to a fault (ran my '86 Mitsubishi until June of this year) but I've
finally learned my lesson about really old laptops.  My Mitsubishi was better
than a newer car--smaller, lighter, got better gas mileage, and I could tie stuff
to the roof without worrying about scratches or dents.  Old laptops are slow
and there's always the danger of the HDD giving out.   Your Thinkpad is probably
a T40--1.5 GHz or so with a 20 GB HDD--and if it has Windows on it, that expensive
software is probably its greatest asset.  I'd recommend conserving your copies of
Word, PowerPoint, and Excel on your old machine and investing your precious time
in a newer machine.  If you watch on Ebay you can get a 2.6 GHz T400 with no hard
drive for $60 or so, and put in a brand new 500 GB drive for another $65 (or a 100
GB solid state drive for $100).