[PlanetCCRMA] Thank you!

Fri Nov 8 13:40:55 PST 2013

On 11/08/2013 01:12 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Quoting Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU>:
>
>> On 11/08/2013 10:09 AM, Donald Steven wrote:
>>> This is terrific!
>>
>> You mean Fedora Jam?
>>
>>> Is it compatible with CCRMA-At-Home?    Would one install Fedora Jam,
>>> then add the CCRMA repositories, then update/install, or would that
>>> cause problems?
>>
>> It should not. It is just Fedora after all, and Planet CCRMA is built on
>> top of fedora. If there are any issues let us know.
>>
>> These days there are less and less packages coming from Planet CCRMA and
>> more from Fedora proper and that is good. There are still some
>> "important" leftovers like supercollider and pd but those will
>> eventaully migrate as well. Maybe the only remaining one will be the rt
>> patched kernel - it will be impossible to add that to Fedora.
>
> It will also be impossible to add packages that depend on RPM Fusion
> or otherwise encumbered software. That may be the sticking point with
> supercollider and pd.

I don't think that is the case. SuperCollider is fine, just waiting for
some newer boost libraries to make it to Fedora (maybe Fedora 20?).
Pd-extended does have a few dependencies that need RPM Fusion but it can
be compiled without them (and then we'll see what we do when that time
comes - probably another package needs to be pushed to RPM Fusion).

But yes, RPM Fusion dependencies can be problematic.

> Speaking of Fedora Jam and Planet CCRMA, I believe the Fedora 20 beta
> is coming out next Tuesday and my plan is to upgrade my laptop from
> Fedora 19 then. So I will be testing out Fedora 20 / Fedora Jam /
> Planet CCRMA.

Hmmm, nope. Unless someone is secretly building Planet CCRMA packages
for Fedora 20 :-) I'm not (yet). I usually wait till the official
release is out.

-- Fernando