[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 18 3.8.4 rt 2.1--Is it really a Work In Progress

Thu May 2 10:30:04 PDT 2013

On 05/02/2013 10:03 AM, Sean Beeson wrote:
> Hi, List and Fernando.

Hi Sean,

> I have install the 3.8.4 rt 2.1 kernel on an Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 and
> a Geforce 9500M with absolutely no changes after a default install of
> Fedora 18 and RPMFusion and it is working fine. In fact, the xruns seem
> to be at an all time low. :-)

I agree. 3.8.x rt seems to be really really good for audio work, the
best I have seen in a long time. I have run jack and other programs for
days on end with no xruns (same hardware, same software, older kernels
exhibited some occasional xruns).

>The only issue I am seeing is that it
> hangs after coming back from Suspend, which the Fedora 18 default kernel
> didn't do.

Correct, I think just yesterday or the day before there were messages in
the rt kernel mailing list indicating that a solution to the resume
problem had been found. It is a known issue.

> I see a few threads on the rt kernel and Fedora 18 from a month ago, but
> the Planet CCRMA at Home page is saying the Fedora 18 repo is a work in
> progress. Are my positive results news? Is the kernel considered stable
> now? Is there anything that you would like tested, Fernando?

I would say the kernel is pretty stable other than the resume problem. I
have to incorporate the resume patches or wait for a new rt release (I'm
testing 3.8.10-rt6 but that does not include the resume patches - I may
release today). Resume issues will probably have to wait till I get back
from the Linux Audio Conference...

Thanks for the feedback!