[PlanetCCRMA] landing on the Fedora 18 planet

Wed Jan 23 11:58:00 PST 2013

On 01/23/2013 08:39 AM, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> I tried to install FC 18 from a DvD (the ISO image option) since
> my web connection is tricky.

Yes, the installer was puzzling to say the least. I managed to navigate
it but I was like "what?" I installed from the gnome dvd and after that
I added the MATE, XFce, Cinnamon and other more palatable desktops
through yum groupinstall. I guess that would not work for a not very
fast internet connection.

I would give some time to the new installer. It is new and different and
we all hate different at first (I think). It does not make any sense to
me now, but what do I know?

I don't have much hope, though. I gave time to gnome3, a lot of time,
and it still feels LESS productive to use than other "older and obsolete
paradigm" desktops. It does not seem to be getting any better or I'm too
old to learn new tricks. Progress. I imagine many users (including, I
hope, the developers) must be thrilled at their new found
"productivity", maybe because that is not important to them. It would
seem that what is important to them is, exclusively, the world of tablet
computing where users just "consume" stuff and point at things. I use
laptops and desktops and the paradigm does not fit (and if I had a
tablet it would not be running Fedora).

-- Fernando