[PlanetCCRMA] New motherboard / CPU

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Tue Nov 20 04:22:04 PST 2012

> How do you do that?
>
> (I can handle some command line stuff, but not a whole lot.)
> > Many times when I want to move a hard drive from one computer to the next I have to build a new initrd to be able to boot fedora on the new hardware.

Sorry for not getting back to you on this;  I've been very busy and just got to email.
Fedora uses an initial ram disk image to set up to help itself boot.
When a kernel is installed this image is also built (/boot/kerenel-something.img).
It's based on the current hardware at the time and sometimes it's hard to carry it over to new hardware.
Most of the time you get thrown into a shell after is says something about not finding the root file system or such.
I'm not positive, but booting from the fedora install cd/dvd and asking it to help boot may work.
Another way is to use "dracut", fedora's initrd maker.
This could be done from a live cd of fedora;  once you have the old hard disk mounted(assuming in the new machine).

Anyway, it's much too late here, and sleep is needed.

Please check out the dracut program
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/dracut/dracut.html#dracut8

Tracey.