[PlanetCCRMA] Hammerfall-DSP Multiface problems

plutek plutek at infinity.net
Tue May 29 14:56:47 PDT 2012

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:06:54 -0700

>> my system details:
>> T520 ThinkPad
>> 6 Gb RAM
>> i7 quad-core CPU @ 2.8GHz
>> RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface on ExpressCard adapter
>> PlanetCCRMA on FC16 (x86-64)
>>
>> my observations so far:
>>
>> kernel 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86-64 ----
>> jack runs reliably down to 64x2
>> hdspmixer runs reliably
>>
>> kernels 3.2.17-1.rt28.1.fc16.ccrma.x86-64.rt AND 3.3.7-1.fc16.x86-64
>> jack starts, but locks up very quickly
>> hdspmixer locks with error: "HwDep ioctl failed. Metering stopped"
>>

>> any help sorting this out would be most welcome... let me know if there are error messages or other console output which would be useful!
>
> Hmmm, weird. Which version of alsa-tools do you have installed? (rpm -q
> alsa-tools to find out).

1.0.25-1.fc16.x86_64

but i'm not really sure if that's the culprit, or if it's a kernel thing that's throwing the hdsp, and the hdspmixer fail is just a symptom of that... on some other systems (with older kernels, mind you!) 1.0.23 was better for hdspmixer, so *maybe*. however, i do know there's still something else going on, because jack (jack2, btw) fails even if i haven't touched hdspmixer since a reboot.

> I'm running 3.2.17+ rt here at ccrma with RME hardware, but this is on
> old Fedora 14 i386 installs. I'm also running fc16 x86_64 + rt kernels
> on a test laptop (old Lenovo T61) I have and had no problems with jack
> using the built-in card.

you haven't tested *RME hardware* on *that* setup (fc16 x86_64 + rt kernels on the old Lenovo T61)?

hmmmmm.... what would you recommend as my next step?

thanks, fernando... cheers!
.pltk.