[PlanetCCRMA] Hammerfall-DSP Multiface problems

plutek plutek at infinity.net
Tue May 29 11:13:40 PDT 2012

greetings!

it's been many years since i ran a PlanetCCRMA install -- i've been mostly on AVLinux in recent years. my Multiface is completely solid on AVL (which is 32-bit only) with their standard 3.0.6 kernel. since i got a new laptop (ThinkPad T520 with 6Gb of RAM, i've been interested in finding a 64-bit distro with a more recent kernel. i've tried various things (including 3.2 and 3.3 series kernels on AVL), with no success.

so, i thought i'd give the Planet a try again, knowing that there's experience around CCRMA with HDSP boxes, and having read these posts by Fernando:

-------------------------
On 04/02/2012 03:52 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Hi all, a new kernel based on 3.2.13-rt23 is available from the
> planetcore-testing repository for Fedora 16... Only lightly tested on my
> old laptop.

The current kernel is now 3.2.16-rt27 based, the second revision I just
published dropped a patch from previous Fedora kernels that was
triggering "Disabling IRQ" problems, at least with my RME cards. Seems
to work fine now.
-------------------------

my system details:
T520 ThinkPad
6 Gb RAM
i7 quad-core CPU @ 2.8GHz
RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface on ExpressCard adapter
PlanetCCRMA on FC16 (x86-64)

my observations so far:

kernel 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86-64 ----
jack runs reliably down to 64x2
hdspmixer runs reliably

kernels 3.2.17-1.rt28.1.fc16.ccrma.x86-64.rt AND 3.3.7-1.fc16.x86-64
jack starts, but locks up very quickly
hdspmixer locks with error: "HwDep ioctl failed. Metering stopped"

any help sorting this out would be most welcome... let me know if there are error messages or other console output which would be useful!

many thanks in advance... cheers!
.pltk.