[PlanetCCRMA] Can't load HDSP firmware on F-17

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Aug 25 13:47:02 PDT 2012

Hi, Fernando:

Long time no type!

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano writes:
> On 08/25/2012 11:14 AM, Janina Sajka wrote:
> >Hi, All:
> >
> >It's been awhile since I've had a system where I could use my RME
> >Multiface. I have built myself a new box where I was hoping to do
> >exactly that, but have run into an error that I hadn't seen inyears:
> >
> >Card 4 : RME Hammerfall DSP + Digiface at 0xf7d00000, irq 16
> >Upload firmware for card hw:4
> >Hwdep ioctl error on card hw:4 : Device or resource busy.
> >
> >Any and all thoughts most welcome. I'll be massively disappointed if I
> >can't use my Multiface this time around.
>
> We are using Multifaces at CCRMA on Fedora 17. It is a weird error
Glad to hear.

> indeed, it would seem that something is already using the device, or
> the device is not accessible. What do you see if you do a:
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards

 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7f10000 irq 50
 1 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0xf7e40000 irq 52
 2 [Device         ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Audio Device
                      C-Media USB Audio Device at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.8.4.4, full speed
 3 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Sennheiser USB Headset
                      Sennheiser Communications Sennheiser USB Headset at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.8.3, ful
 4 [DSP            ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
                      RME Hammerfall DSP + Digiface at 0xf7d00000, irq 16
 5 [AV710          ]: ICE1724 - Chaintech AV-710
                      Chaintech AV-710 at 0xd180, irq 17
 6 [pcsp           ]: PC-Speaker - pcsp
                      Internal PC-Speaker at port 0x61
> (looks like you have a lot of cards)
Yes ...
0 for IBM ViaVoice TTS with the Speakup console screen reader
1 unused--comes via the MSI video card
2 For Espeak via Speech-Dispatcher for Orca GUI screen reader
3 For Vo/IP telephony
4 For serious music work (hopefully)
5 For whatever -- nice sounding card
6 Got to have my console beeps!

0 and 2 can't share <groan>
3 needs to be independent--it's a phone

So, I may actually be short a card were I to get Windows running in a
KVM!

> What if you remove the kernel module (with the card already online)
> and insert it again?
>
> /sbin/rmmod snd_hdsp
Simply returns--no error. lsmod shows it's gone.

> /sbin/modprobe snd_hdsp
Returns with no error. 'lsmod |grep hdsp' shows it's there.

It's at this point that i run 'hdsploader' yes? This is where the error
creeps in.

I have alsa-firmware-1.0.25-1.fc17

This is an Asrock lga1155 board with Z77. I have an Ivy Bridge I5-3450
CPU and AMI UEFI. I'm not impressed with UEFI so far, btw, as I can't
seem to get it to leave my boot order alone.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina at asterisk.rednote.net