[PlanetCCRMA] HDSPe and Multiface

Thu Mar 24 15:37:25 PDT 2011

On 03/24/2011 03:02 PM, Donald Steven wrote:
> Here's what I do in Fedora 14:
>
> Fedora 14 RME Notes
>
> 1. F14 alsa-tools is no good. hdspmixer crashes.  Use CCRMA F13
> alsa-tools.  (Note: I think this has been fixed by now.)

Correct, there is an alsa-tools package for Fedora 14 that fixes the
hdspmixer problems (hopefully).

> 2. Setup files are:
>
>          /home/das/.asoundrc

This is only needed if you want to have separate devices for separate
"parts" of the card.

>          /etc/modules.conf
>          /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>          /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
>
> 3.  HDSP Mixer must be on preset 2
>
> 4. Set-up
>
>          * must be a fresh install to find HDSP as index 0

In general you don't need to have hdsp as index 0 if you refer to the
card by name (what is the name can be found in "cat /proc/asound/cards",
it is the string between square brackets). If you do that the order of
the cards does not matter. You don't need to blacklist the other card
unless you really want it off (and then you can disable it in the BIOS).

>          * pulseaudio must be removed for HDSP to be default

I'm working with fc14 setups with pulse audio active and that is not a
problem. You refer to the card by name, for example "hw:DSP" instead of
hw:0 or hw:1 or whatever. Pulse needs a workaround to make it use the
hdsp (documented in a recent thread in the Planet CCRMA list).

Furthermore, the addition of a modprobe configuration will not guarantee
that the hdsp is first if the machine is booted with an usb card plugged
in.

-- Fernando