[PlanetCCRMA] F15 + CCRMA = no X on start, no network, long boot time and instability

Geoff King gsking1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 08:00:37 PDT 2011

Hi Dale, A few things that might help (note I'm still on FC14, but probably
not significantly different in commands):

1) Holding down Shift while booting should bring up boot menu.
2) Once you are sure a kernel setting works you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
but be careful
3) Install yumex and try to manage rpm packages with that. I find it easier
to use most of the time. You shouldn't need to reinstall Fedora in your
example, just remove the offending packages.
4) FWIW - the rt kernel doesn't work well on my current desktop machine
either (quad core i5). It boots, but eventually locks up after a few
minutes.  For the last few months I've been using a low latency kernel based
on the FC14 generic that I build myself and works for my use.  However, the
rt kernel worked great on a prior machine of mine in the past.
5) Assuming you are on wireless,  I'm not suprised that you are having some
network issues.  Wireless can sometimes be problematic with linux especially
if changing around kernels and such.  Maybe someone will have some advice? I
use ethernet cable and never have any problems.  What is your network device
name?
6) I doubt you will have any dual boot problems, but haven't done that for a
several  years.  I found I don't like to switch OS back and forth decided to
stick with linux.  Maybe others have an opinion?
7) Not getting X?  What is your video card make and model?  What are your
system specs, type model, 32bit or 64bit?  I probably won't know how to
help, but this is some basic info you should provide when asking for help.
If you have nvidia card, search the mailing list and web, there is tons of
advice on the net about how to get those working using akmod or kmod.
8) Ask yourself if you really need a full rt kernel or does a more stock
system like FC15 or latest ubuntu work well enough for your purposes?  There
are compromises that sometimes have to be made.   What do you hope to gain
from going full rt vs. standard setup?

Hope this helps.

Geoff